Back to AIP Home Page.
The Encyclopedia of the United States of America, Past
Edited by Donald W. Whisenhunt
USA (1983- ) treats the American experience from before the European arrival
to the present.
Encyclopedia USA should be viewed as the serial Dictionary of American
Biography uniquely expanded to all aspects of American life--especially
cultural life--to serve the broad spectrum of readers and libraries.
Fifty or more volumes plus indexes and supplements when complete. Three
volumes, 750 pages annually. Cloth. $42.00 each. Index Volumes $55 eac.
Volumes 1-29 (AAA-Fanning, Tolbert.) and Supplement 1-3 (Abbe, Robert--Ashmore,
Harry Scott) in print. Index Volume 1 (Vols. 1-10) and 2 (Vols. 11-20) in
Contents of Volumes 1-25 and Supplement Volume 1
and 2 are listed below.
Contents of volume 26-29 and Supplement Volume 3 forthcoming.
the Critics Say
- "...university and college libraries should consider adding the
complete set to their reference collections. This is a treasure trove"-American
Reference Books Annual
- "Encyclopedia USA is a commendable project"-Reference
- "One just doesn't find articles on adult book stores or the big
band era or the Autobiography of Malcolm X or automation in the Dictionary
of American History... But Encyclopedia USA has those and more... Its value
is in the people, things, events, and modern cultural phenomena (e.g.,
the article on the Blondie cartoon strip) that the Dictionary of American
Biography and the Dictionary of American History overlook."-Wilson
About the Index
- "Librarians that already have [USA] will not want to decrease
the value of their acquisition and cheat their users by skipping this helpful
index."-American Reference Books Annual
More Valuable, Necessary Than Ever!
- For busy librarians, patrons, students, faculty researchers.
- Cost efficient because USA is consulted so heavily.
- The single source needed by non-US libraries.
- Indexes open vast research avenues.
- Just $1,477.00 for Vols. 1-22, Supplements 1-3, plus Index Vols. 1-2
then only $143.00 each budget year thereafter
- Order today while initial cost is low.
What the Users Say
"The students use it a lot... they enjoy coming to this because they
can pick it up and get their background information... get them started
on their who, what, when and where information... they can pull it out and
stand there and easily look at it and find what they're looking for... it's
so accessible... it is in great demand."-Neatha Cagle, Head of Reference,
Lon Morris College Library
About the Editor
Donald W. Whisenhunt, is Professor Emeritus at Western Washington University,
Bellingham WA 98225 and is retired.
Academic International Press is seeking an individual to assume editorship.
Qualified scholars, please contact the Press.
Contents of Volumes 1--25, Supplement Volume 1,
- Contents of Volume 1 (AAA--Agriculture-Machinery)
- Contents of Volume 2 (Agriculture-Movements
and Organizations--Ames, Edward Randolph)
- Contents of Volume 3 (Ames, Fanny
Baker--Arnold, Harold de Forest)
- Contents of Volume 4 (Arnold, Henry
H.--Barber, John Warner)
- Contents of Volume 5 (Barbour, James--Bent,
- Contents of Volume 6 (Bent, William--Bonus
- Contents of Volume 7 (Boogie Woogie--Buchanan,
- Contents of Volume 8 (Buck v. Bell,
274 U.S. 200 (1927)--California Joe (Moses Embree Milner))
- Contents of Volume 9 (California,
- Contents of Volume 10 (Cattle Towns
of Kansas--Chicano Movement)
- Contents of Volume 11 (Chickamauga
and Chattanooga National Military Park--Civil War, American)
- Contents of Volume 12 (Civil War
Centennial Commission--Closely Watched Trains)
- Contents of Volume 13 (Clothing
Production in America From Colonial Times to 1915--Colonial Dames of America,
The National Society of)
- Contents of Volume 14 (Colonial
Family in Early America--Compromise of 1850)
- Contents of Volume 15 (Compromise
of 1877--Coogan, Jackie)
- Contents of Volume 16 (Cook, George
Cram--Courts of Appeals, United States)
- Contents of Volume 17 (Couse, Eanger
- Contents of Volume 18 (Curtis, Cyrus
Hermann Kotzschmar--Davies, Joseph Edward)
- Contents of Volume 19 (Davies, Marion
- Contents of Volume 20 (Deficit Spending--Detective
- Contents of Volume 21 (Detente--Dixon,
- Contents of Volume 22 (DNA--Dowling,
- Contents of Volume 23 (Dowling,
Richard William "Dick"--Dull Knife Campaign)
- Contents of Volume 24 (Dulles, Allen
Welsh--Earthquakes in America)
- Contents of Volume 25 (Earthquakes,
New Madrid , Missouri--Education, Agricultural)
- Contents of Volume 26 (Education, Antebellum South--Ellis, Seth Hockett)
- Contents of Supplement Volume 1
(Abbe, Robert--Alexander, Robert Evans)
- Contents of Supplement Volume 2
(Alexander, Sadie Tanner Mossell--Anderson, Benjamin McAlester)
Go to Academic International Press Home